CORINTH INFORMATION DATABASE Version 1.3 © 1995 Milton Sandy, Jr.

XHome | Home | Email Contact

HISTORICAL FACTS - CORINTH NATIONAL CEMETERY

The Corinth National Cemetery is situated in Alcorn County, approximately three-fourths (3/4) of a mile southeast from the railroad depot at Corinth, Mississippi, and near the historic lines of the old Mobile and Ohio Railroad and the old Memphis and Charleston Railroad. The cemetery can be reached by U. S. Highway 72. It is a point of interest to the tourist not only as a shrine of our heroic dead, but also as a Memorial to one of the important battles of the Civil War.

          The Cemetery is part of the National Cemetery System once
  administered by the Department of the Army and now managed by the
  Department of Veterans Affairs.  The Cemetery comprises approximately
  twenty (20) acres.  The grounds occupy a portion of a battlefield of
  great significance to the Civil War.  Here was fought the Battle of
  Corinth from whence the National Cemetery derives its name.  The
  Battle of Corinth was fought October 3 and 4, 1862 between  a
  Confederate Army under command of General Sterling Price and a Union
  Army under command of General W. S. Rosencrans.  Great heroism was
  exemplified by both sides -- one to capture and the other to defend.
  The City of Corinth was regarded as the symbol of the south throughout
  the conflict.

          The Corinth National Cemetery was established in 1866, by an
  Act of Congress, as a site for a permanent National Cemetery for
  burial of war dead.  Four (4) years had elapsed and great difficulty
  was experienced in the identification of the dead and the location of
  the isolated graves.  The program of concentrating the remains was
  begun September 1864.  The remains were gathered from some fifteen
  (15) or twenty (20) battlefields or skirmish grounds -- from Corinth,
  Iuka, Holly Springs, Guntown and Farmington, Mississippi and from
  Parkers Crossroads, Middlebury and Britton-Lane, Tennessee, and from
  various scattered camps and hospitals in Tennessee and Mississippi. By
  1870 when the interment program was practically completed, Corinth was
  number sixteen (16) in order of National Cemeteries having 5,688
  interments, of which 1,793 were known, 3,895 were unknown,
  representing 273 regiments from fifteen (15) different states.  As of
  February 1, 1961, the interments numbered 5,942 -- 1,946 known and 3,996
  unknown.

          A headstone is furnished and erected by the Government to mark
  each grave -- a final gesture of a grateful country to those who paid
  the supreme sacrifice.


  Reference:  Based on a tourism and visitor's flyer published around
              1961.
  
  NOTE:  Postcard ca.1915 shows entrance much as it appears today.  
              Distinguished gentleman standing to right of gate
              is "Capt." James M. Dickey.

  ALSO please note:  Burial information in tables was converted 
               directly from Excel spreadsheets furnished by Veterans 
               Affairs in 1994 without verification. It is obvious 
               there are duplicate records and strong possibilities 
               of errors in this data.  Be aware that spelling and 
               other data entry errors may exist.  One day, we hope 
               this data will all be verified by physical inspection.  In 
               the meanwhile, any corrections or additions to this 
               information would be appreciated.
               

  cnc01



XHome | Home | Email Contact


Last Update: March 5, 1996
Webmaster: Jackey Wall tsiwall@tsixroads.com
© copyright 1995 CrossRoads Access, Inc.