All of the business houses are shown. "Cross City
Printing Office," "Arcade," "Buggy Shop," "Shults Picture
Gallery," "Post Office," "Depot," "Blakes Bakery;" as well as
tailor, furniture, clothing stores; doctors offices, boot and
shoe shops; drug stores, tin and hardware stores; saloons and
a gothic type calaboose. There are very interesting steam-
saw mill scenes surrounded by " hills covered with heavy pine
timber," and near a railroad track.
At W. H. Kilpatrick's home there is a black dog in the
year; Agnes Cottage has large windows and wheelbarrow in the
year; and in front of Dora's cottage there is someone
sitting on a stump drawing (himself, probably), as well as
the cottage. There are a number of "very fine houses"
outside the city's corporation.
Also there is a "Plan of Barefoot Farm." This was
located four miles from Corinth, Mississippi where the "Road
to Tuscumbia" intersects the "Public Road from Corinth to
East Port." This diagram covered about one hundred acres -
describing how the farm was utilized - (Could this
information have been of Confederate Military importance?)
There are one or two errors of direction; also there is
a picture of a brick Court House facing on Main Street. The
Methodist Church faces on Court Square. The Court House has
a cupola like the Jacinto Courthouse had and has! The Curlee
house is shown as it looks today and he described it as a
"very fine house."
There is intrigue present also, "Why is a Confederate
soldier given a Court Martial by Federal troops and sentenced
to be shot?" The good part was that he escaped and was able
to return to the Army in Mississippi and continue to serve
the Confederacy. We know there will be much interest in all
the sketches and in the stories surrounding Mr. Miller's
Mathew Amos Miller, son of General Thomas Craig Miller
and his wife Margaret, was born December 16, 1830 on his
father's farm. This farm later was the site of the Battle of
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. In 1851 M. A. Miller went to
Piedmont, Virginia where he commenced work as a civil and
mining engineer. He was a surveyor for a number of railroads
in Maryland and Virginia until he migrated to Memphis,
Tennessee in 1859.
In Memphis M. A. Miller was engaged as Assistant City
Engineer until the beginning of the Civil War in April 1861.
Being imbued with the Southern spirit, Miller joined Captain
Pickett's Company of "Sappers and Miners" in the Confederate
Army. He was engaged on the various Mississippi River
fortifications as Lieutenant of Engineers.
In 1862 Lieutenant Miller was captured by the Federals
in the City of Memphis, tried by Court Martial under orders
of General W. T. Sherman, who visited Miller in person while
confined to the military prison; and was sentenced to be
shot. He made his escape from prison four days before the
day fixed for his execution. In years to come Miller would
only say that he had two trusty pistols slipped to him. He
would never disclose whether it had been necessary to use the
pistols or not. After he made his escape from prison he
rejoined the Confederates in Mississippi. Miller's next
assignment for the Confederacy was the mining of saltpeter
and lead in northwestern Arkansas until the Federal forces
captured that area. Miller continued with the Confederate
Army as Captain of Engineers in Shreveport, Louisiana.
After the war Miller moved back to Memphis for a short
time; but while there his wife almost died of typhoid fever.
He went back to Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland where he
continued as a manager and overseer of land and mining
operations until his retirement in 1903; but he continued in
an advisory capacity until his death at age 74 on December
16, 1904 (his birth date). Captain Miller was buried by the
side of his wife in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia.
He was a member of The R. E. Lee Confederate Veterans and a
detachment from the camp was sent as an escort to the
Northeast Mississippi Museum Association
Publication Number #A0004 May 7, 1990